WHOLE 30: WHAT I LEARNED. WHY I QUIT. AND WHY YOU NEED TO TRY IT.

June 25, 2018

WHOLE 30: What I learned, Why I quit, and Why you need to try it

In case you missed my post at the beginning of the month: I started Whole 30 on July 1. I had the intension of lasting the entire month. But 15 days in I decided to do a bit of tweaking to make it right for me. So I modified. I cheated a little. And I learned a lot about my eating habits.

THE PROS

1. You learn to cook healthy. And it’s easy.
I was a pro at making healthy breakfasts and lunches. But once dinner rolled around I relied on seamless or raiding my pantry. But Whole 30 forces you to cook. It forces you to meal plan. And it forces you to buy groceries. I’m now a pro at making hearty, healthy dinners. Some of my favorite recipes: turkey meatballs over zucchini noodles. spicy chicken bowls. Cauliflower rice with protein.

2. I don’t crave junk food anymore!
When you deny your body of artificial sugars, you stop craving them. Since I started Whole 30, I noticed I don’t reach for the chips or the cookies anymore. My brain doesn’t even crave it.

3. Eating clean is filling. Who knew?
The Whole 30 diet recommends eating 3 filling meals, with no snacks. Eating a hearty breakfast and cutting the in-between snacks left me with such long lasting energy that I’ve never felt before.

THE CONS

1. So. Much. Protein.
Since grains and legumes are out of the question. Meat and eggs are the star of the show. I felt a little heavy eating that much protein. So I started adding hummus, greek yogurt, and whole grains into my diet. Which is technically “cheating.” But whatever.

2. Socializing just got so much harder
It’s not the actual diet that made this so difficult. It was the socializing. In a city like New York, alcohol and food is the center of every social function. So saying “no” to everything, all the time, gets old. So I caved and had a cocktail or a glass of wine here and there at work events.

THE VERDICT

Although I started “cheating” halfway in—the first fifteen days really changed my eating habits, my taste buds, and my brain’s relationship with food. I stopped craving the bad shit. And when I did indulge in it, I really felt the difference the next day. When you know how good you can feel from eating clean, eating junk just isn’t worth it anymore.

I was fairly healthy to begin with, so it only really took me 2 weeks to have a positive experience. If you try it, definitely aim for the full 30 days!! You won’t regret it.

For more information and details on Whole30, visit their website whole30.com

photos by Andrew Morales

click to shop the look:

Everlane tee | R13 jeans | Chanel bag | Neubau sunglasses | Chinese Laundry shoes

12 Comments

• Reply THE LALA LOOKBOOK July 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM

Those chinese laundry sandals are so chic! and I love your jeans. Cheers to eating better, I know I need too.

THE LALA LOOKBOOK

• Reply Meredith Christine July 11, 2018 at 2:51 PM

I applaud you for trying it! I think I would struggle with missing a lot of food groups too.

xx,
    Meredith
    LATEST POST | INSTAGRAM

• Reply Thomas Paul July 8, 2018 at 7:19 PM

Well it’s good to know that it’s possible to stop craving junk food. I just feel I can never eat healthy because I won’t be able to resist the snacks or a meal outside. Seems like a good challenge!

• Reply Nicole July 7, 2018 at 12:53 AM

If I tell myself that I’m going to start eating healthier and eliminating the junk, I immediately stop craving junk food. It’s so surreal but makes you think how powerful and important food really is!

Nicole

• Reply Miki July 2, 2018 at 7:26 PM

I didn’t know this about Whole 30. I used to eat really similar to this – lots of veggies and protein, usually a dragonfruit every day and loved it, but having routine like cooking all the time is hard when you travel a lot and as you say, takes a lot of prep and hard work! Especially if you have a very active social life.

Xo,
    Miki

• Reply Jessica July 2, 2018 at 12:07 AM

This sounds amazing. Sometimes all we need is a hard tweak on our habits to change our health for the better. Thanks for sharing your experience dear.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

• Reply Carmen July 1, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Oh so interesting dear! I really like food experiments like these because I think you get so much more conscious :)
    xx, Carmen – http://carmitive.com

• Reply Jen June 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM

I think the hardest part of eating healthy is just the begining! Then it turns out to be so yummie and easy! ♥

Btw, love your jeans!

• Reply Bambi June 28, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Eating healthy is always good, I cheated too much this month because I started to feel bad lately and my legs started to swollen no matter what and then my shitty work just destroyed my mood so now I have to lose more than before, it’ll be hard but I hope that I’ll make it.

• Reply barbiegirl06 June 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM

I’m really trying to eat healthier and cut off sweets, but it’s so hard. I still crave it and need it from time to time and it kills me. Anyways, great post and topic, thanks for sharing. :-)

• Reply Jessie June 27, 2018 at 11:35 PM

AMAZING!!! I really need to try this WHOLE 30 programme.

xx, Jessie

• Reply wendee June 26, 2018 at 8:03 PM

Eating healthy is a must for us all but it is one of the most difficult things to do.
    The Glossychic